Sunday, March 21, 2010

Spanish Week Complete

This past week has been a whirlwind...

First we spent last weekend at an idyllic beach resort, with lots of hammocks and walk on access to the beach (for all of 50Q a night = about USD$12) at Tulate for Adrians birthday (photos to come, but are already posted on facebook if interested).

I then went to Xela Saturday night for a COS-ing party (COS = close of service, for the volunteers who have completed their 2 years) and on Sunday morning Kiki and I headed down to the Peace Corps Office near Antigua for a week of Spanish class.

I stayed with my homestay family from San Miguel Duenas which was SO NICE. Just to have a home with a family and to see them again and feel like it was still home was exactly what I needed. Unfortunatly there was a death in the family while I was there (Sylvia's nephew fell off of a camioneta and hit his head and died) but I'm glad I was able to be there and help out with the cooking, because here in Guatemala, when someone in your family dies, the entire village comes to your house and expects to be fed.

But apart from that sad tragedy, it was nice to go out in Antigua and celebrate St. Patty's day and see people who are based in Chimaltenango, a muni closer to Antigua.

HOWEVER, it is SO NICE to be back in site and in my own bed. And, while I was away Ferney made 2 discoveries about my kitten: 1. it's a girl 2. she's in heat...BIG TIME.

So right now she's wandering around the house rubbing herself against all sorts of objects and holding her butt in the air as she makes weird purring noises. It's quite off putting, I would put her outside, but am afraid of the neighbors' male cat (also most likely an uncle to mine, so ewwww) as I do NOT want kittens, especially if they're inbred. We really have to go to the vet.

Anyway, I'm back in site after a long week Spanish class (I almost cried whilst trying to understand past perfect subjunctive...) and am very happy to be here!

No comments:

Post a Comment