Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Little Things

This morning my counterpart Romeo and I had a meeting with all 180 food vendors that sell food &/or beverages in San Vicente (mainly tienda owners). We talked about safe food preparation, keeping their kitchens/frying stalls clean, garbage, water safety etc. It was a three hour long workshop and attendance was mandatory in order for the vendors to keep their license.

I guess my job doesn't really sink in most of the time. I give hundreds of talks, workshops and trainings and I assume that only about .5% of the information is actually digested. I still think that. However, every now and then someone surprises you and that happened this afternoon.

I was walking up to Chihuitan to check on the progress of the project (100% done with the stoves about 80% done with the floors!) - and I walked past a french fry stand. The owner, who had attended the meeting earlier in the day, was making a makeshift cover for the french fries with wire hangers and plastic wrap to keep the flies off. He also had a brand new garbage can, with a lid - AND he had his wife scrubbing the frying bowl with disinfectant. I felt my heart swelling up with pride. I am even thinking about breaking my diet and buying some french fries from them later to show solidarity!

Win!

No comments:

Post a Comment