Monday, April 6, 2009

And we're off...

So in 16 days I will be flying out of London and heading over to DC for a weekend of frivolity before 12 hours of pre-departure training which includes (but is not limited to): team bonding, government paperwork, immunizations, more paperwork and packing.

On the 29th (very, very early in the morning) we will be flying out of Reagan and on our way to Guatemala City (via Miami), where we will start our three month in country orientation.

During orientation we live with Spanish speaking families, have language and cultural classes and work with people who will prepare us for our jobs once we begin. I have been practicing my Spanish on the Rosetta Stone program (free from the Peace Corps, and quite a perk), however, I'm still super rusty and know that the first few weeks/months will be a struggle.

Anyway, it is going to be a crazy few weeks but I'm really excited, (well, more nervous excited, but excited anyway), and can't wait to finish up all the preliminary stuff (paperwork/ insurance/ packing/ shopping etc.) and roll out!

5 comments:

  1. how long are you going to be there? 2 years?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 years of service after 3 months of training!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have I mentioned how super excited I am that I will be seeing you in a couple weeks? No? Oh well, nevermind then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's gonna be fun! If you are going to be in DC overnight, let me know. I know some Foreign Service/former Peace Corp types who are always up for a happy hour with the new Peace Corp peeps...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Phil, hope you had a tortilla with candles on it today! And no more earthquakes-thats far too much excitement. Lots of love Aunty Carole and Simon

    ReplyDelete