Monday, May 4, 2009

Earthquakes, Lava and Food...oh my!

So...

A. No swine flu in the area yet....luckily the US government has given me tamaflu, so no need to worry.

B. There was an earthquake yesterday. Super interesting, I´ve never felt an earthquake before, it wasn´t too strong (thank goodness), but it went on for about 30 or so seconds. It felt as if there was water underneath the solid earth I was standing on, and there were like small waves pushing the earth up in rolls...does that make sense? yo no sé.

C. Spanish is going alright. Right now we´ve been divided into groups of four and sent out to small villages. Our village is called San Miguel Dueñas

Ver mapa más grande

and it is me and three other girls. They divided us (the original 32) up into two groups of 16. One is the youth development program, and one is the health (mine) program. They then divided those sixteen into four more groups of four based on our level of spanish, so we are living in a village with three other people who are at a similar level.

We have about eight hours of spanish a day, except tuesdays when we go back to the Peace Corps headquarters in Santa Lucía for a day of technical training. Then on thursdays we go to another village or stay at ours for technical training in the afteroon. Add on top of that lots of reading and spanish tarea. I´m a bit busy (but not too busy to procrastinate in the internet cafe!).

C. My village is located near two volcanos, Fuego (fire) and Agua (water)...sometimes if the night is clear you can see lava flowing out of Fuego and down the side of the volcano. It´s quite pretty, as long as I am FAR, FAR away.

D. The food is great, lots of beans (made everywhich way, yum!) y tortillas y huevos (eggs) y jalepeños. My homestay family loves feeding me and telling me I am not eating enough. Let me tell you...I am.

That´s it for now, up to Santa Lucía tomorrow for a full day of training

2 comments:

  1. Me suena que te estás divertiendo. Yo leé del terremoto por la red y pensé "éste es exactamente la tipa de suerte que tiene phil." Continua a escribir cuando tienes chance. Ya te echo de menos! Bebe una cerveza guatemalteca para mí!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you already...It's nice to know that you're having a good time though beautiful and it sounds amazing where you are! Volcanoes and Earthquakes and FOOD... I'm jealous. :P

    ReplyDelete