Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day Hot Mess

Happy Mother's Day Mom!

Mother's Day in Guatemala is a HUGE ordeal. Right now, I am sitting in a cafe, and outside there is a Marimba band playing for mother's day. People go out for lunch (similar to the US) make food, cards and gifts for their moms and generally spend the whole day celebrating (one Guatemalan tradition is to go to Pollo Campero for dinner or have it delivered - this way mom doesn't have to cook - Pollo Campero is like the Guatemalan McDonalds- dream big).

However, ONE day is not enough to celebrate the wonderful-ness of our mothers. Therefore in Guatemala Sunday is spent in a family celebration, and Monday is spent celebrating in schools. Therefore the schools all put on skits, performances, events etc. this week for mother's day. Even the Centro de Salud wants to have a mother's day event. - I'm not sure what, as I was super vague about my participation as I have TONS of paper work/ schedules to figure out and don't really want to spend my time at an event where I get gross food, and kids sing at me for hours and hours and hours (did it last year, I can put a big check next to THAT cultural experience).

Honestly though, I will be lucky to get one or one and a half good work days out of this week, I may have to hide in my house and not come out for anything but charlas. - Even then, I may be seen and dragged to some sort of mother's day event. This week is going to be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment