Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Life as a volunteer has begun

So here I am, I just finished my second day as a Peace Corps volunteer in my site, San Vincente, and let me tell you...I´m exhausted.

My work is great, so far I´m busy writing up schedules, and scheduling meetings, finishing paperwork and getting to know people.

GOOD NEWS
  • I have a house!

I looked at it yesterday, it seems to be the best of both worlds as it´s the ground floor of a house with a family. But I have my own entrance and bathroom. I move in this weekend (now I just need a bed and drawers or something...)

  • I have work!

As trainees we´re told over and over that the first three months of our service is difficult as we have nothing to do...this is NOT my problem. I just wrote up a tentative schedule for next month and every week day (and some weekends) are FULL...I should be home working right now.....

  • I like my site!

San Vincente is SUPER rural, and beautiful. The people are friendly and except for a number of bolos (drunk people) there doesn´t seem to be much crime or anything (minus one incident a few weeks ago that included a mob, surveyors and my site mate having to leave for a few days...but that seems to have blown over!)

BAD NEWS

  • If you ever have the option...try not to ever, ever spend 6 hours on a chicken bus with a bacteria infection and three very large bags... it is super unpleasant...
  • I think I also have ameobas
  • I have no furniture for my empty 2 rooms, nor am I sure how to aquire furniture here, as I have no car and live in the middle of nowhere
  • I had a bacteria infection and was SUPER ill over swear in weekend...our first opportunity to go out together...well played.
  • I have a really bad head cold and cough

So all in all life is interesting...But I´m surviving and once I heal I´m sure all will be well!

No comments:

Post a Comment