Monday, July 13, 2009

Site visit

I don't have much time and I hope to post some photos later today or tomorrow, but I just wanted to write down about my week long site visit.

For the past week I've been living in my site in San Vicente Buenabaj, Momostenango, Totonicapan. My site mate Ferney is great, and there are some great people to work with at the Health Center.

Mostly a Social Worker called Sara, who took me out to many different communities (there are 14 in San Vincente) to introduce myself and get to know some of the groups.

On Friday I also helped to give the 4 hour HIV charla with Ferney to a school of kids, which was tiring but great practice.

I still don't have a place to live, but I'm hoping something will come up before I move back there on Sunday...we'll see. But I sort of want to move in with Ferney as he has two extra rooms in his house and a flush toilet and a shower that is almost luke warm...sometimes.

The site itself is really rural, all dirt roads, and is in beautiful mountainous countryside. And it is really, really, really cold (for Guatemala). You need lots of blankets and layers to stay warm, especially at night.

Must run, but I hope to upload some photos soon!
xo (and happy birthday Shivvy!)

1 comment: